Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Price of Admisson!

Many people have a resource they believe in and depend on for guidance. There are certain authors of books and manuals I use repeatedly: Construction methods and materials for a home, electrical codes and methods for safe wiring, safest way to drive a car, what wine or beer to drink. One of my resources that has proven superior, for me, for principles of living is the Christian Bible.

An example is given of a man asking Jesus about his eternal future. Jesus senses something superficial or naive and replies with five of the ten commandments. The man accepts Jesus' answer and seems to sense there is more to be said.
Luke 18:18  And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, even God. Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor thy father and mother.
And he said, All these things have I observed from my youth up. And when Jesus heard it, he said unto him, One thing thou lackest yet: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. But when he heard these things, he became exceeding sorrowful; for he was very rich.
Mark 10:17  And as he was going forth into the way, there ran one to him, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good save one, even God. Thou knowest the commandments, Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor thy father and mother.
And he said unto him, Teacher, all these things have I observed from my youth.
And Jesus looking upon him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. But his countenance fell at the saying, and he went away sorrowful: for he was one that had great possessions.
Allow me to insert my words: Jesus responds,
  • You want into top level management and a key to the executive wash room.
  • You want to be the best husband and father you can be to ensure a successful marriage.
  • You want to be a successful business owner with integrity.
For the top of the line, the elite, the best of the best, there is a price of admission. You must surrender:
  • An activity
  • Relationship(s)
  • Dependence on...
  • Your independence
Now back to me and my lack. For most of my adult working life, I have denied promotions, salary increases and other meaningful opportunities for myself and family because I would not give up certain fears. I did not understand my true losses until I was senior in life. What a disappointing and sad wake up.
Notice, Jesus did not tell the man he would not inherit eternal life but that changes needed to be made in this life. The man simply did not want to pay the admission costs. How many times have people's relationships suffered because one would not give up the play time they had while single and so forth.
Please observe Jesus did not tell everyone to give away their financial stock. I continually hear interviews with successful professing Christians where the reporter asks if they are going to give away their proceeds to the poor. The interviewer will quote what Jesus told the man.
Jesus was responding to one person asking him a precise question for a specific reason. He later calmed his disciples' nerves by confirming they did not have to give up their businesses and with God all things are possible. A successful and joyful Christian lifestyle can include great successes in finance, art, travel, etc. I keep telling Connye, I will remain humble in our Gulfstream 550.
At 66 years, I am prepared to pay admission. The losses of rejection are much, much greater than admission costs and the eventual rewards are beyond imagination. I have studied the lives of successful people for over forty years and noticed a common pattern.
  • The majority had to endure great difficulties or tragedies.
  • They felt compelled or driven to reach a specific goal.
  • There was a time or event of dramatic change they can not explain.
  • They went in a caterpillar, disappeared and exited a butterfly.
Society proclaims these Overnight Successes but no success of substance is overnight.
Some examples I recall are: Nelson Mandela, Assistant to Pharoah Joseph, Apostle Paul, Actor Robert Downey Jr., Business Owner Martha Stewart, and thousands of others in Science, Art, Engineering, Music, Education, ad infinitum.
What is calling or drawing you? Are you ready to move forward to your destiny? What is Your Price of Admission?

No comments:

Post a Comment