Thursday, November 23, 2017

ONE 1/4 Inch Hose

Have you ever thought of how much water/fluid can flow through a 1/4" water line? Valve fully open, unchecked, water pressure here approximately 50 psi. Inside a home, it is enough to wreak havoc.

Let's imagine 1 hour. I tried to find a calculator to determine the volume flow but for this blog, it was too much effort.  I will say, whether you have 1/2" of water covering 100 sq ft or 9' covering 1,700 sq ft, it's a nightmare. Tear up flooring, remove X inches high dry wall, drill holes in studs to air out the flooring, turn on multiple fans that simulate a Large military cargo aircraft; you probably have a good visual by now.

I commented to Connye, my wife, that standing water for two days or 1 hour is virtually the same destruction; maybe one more mold here and there but mox nix.

Looking at the aftermath and water reparation demo, I almost cried, hurting for my relatives. YET, if the flow had not been discovered and continued for, say, 5 more hours, their home would be in the same state of destruction as ours, due to Harvey.

Equality. We have our caste system in america but catastrophic events can bring a sense of equality to a family, neighborhood, city or nation, so fast you cannot calculate it. Saint/Sinner, Poor/Wealthy, Ill/Healthy, there are situations that can equalize our standing with Life and each other.

Our community has a social media page for neighborhood communication. I asked the status of my neighbors to get an idea where our home repair was in relation to others in our area. The replies have been encouraging, to me, because I can relate my progress to others and consider we are all moving forward in approximately the same speed for similar reasons.

Visiting neighbors on the sidewalk, or standing against a tree or just talking loud across the street, is a form of venting. Even though we cannot help each other, just knowing that the intent to help is present is also a forma of therapy. Being a Christian or not becomes a mute point, in times like these. We help each other because they are our neighbor; because they need help, as we do and because there is a basic sense of compassion to help that person pull their ox out of the ditch.

In time, all this will be a distant memory (memories) but the pain and grief will surface to remind us how fragile we all are. I recall the proclamations of those with Egos and/or Titles how Perfect they are In All Things and I know that ONE incident can change their magnificent selves into a humble, broken, possibly homeless lowly human. Am I anticipating this horrific change so I can gloat? No.

There is a sadness just thinking what these people are missing as they gaze down on us, from their lofty tower of greatness. A person wrote, "It's better to take a lower position/chair/seat and have others promote you than to proclaim your wonder, before all and someone/something bring you down in front of the crowd.

When we are recovered from this storm and all it contains, I do not want to forget My Need of My Neighbors, Strangers, Family and especially my GOD; His Word, His Spirit, His Love and Mercy and Compassion and Presence in the sound and shape of, "Can I help you? I have some cold water, would you like a drink? We have hot pizza, are you hungry and would you like a sandwich?"

Almost three full months. I may have mentioned that I asked God to help us return to our home in December 2017. It's not a command, or "Your Word Says.....". It's just a humble request to my loving Father to help my family and bring relief to our benefactors that opened their home to us.

One of my neighbors observed behavioral changes in our neighbors and the absence of laughter, friendly wave and it disturbed him that this Storm may have hurt us in a negative way. We both thought about that and decided Only Time and Faith and Healing will reveal how we personally recover.

I worked in UTMD for several years and trauma, whether from certain types of illness, war wounds, death can go deep into your emotions and spirit. I also noticed the Children Patients and their ability to rebound, laugh, encourage themselves and each other. Their Simplicity and Innocence and Trust and Love would continually revive their Joy and Forgiveness and Hope in their Future.

A man once noted to a group of adults, "Unless you become as little children..." Unless you surrender your hardness, bitterness, anger and become innocent, forgiving, loving, tender, merciful, caring, you WILL not survive." The ONLY way we can survive the difficulties and hardness and evil of life is to become as little children; Respect one another, respect and obey righteous laws, confess our sins and forgive ourselves and each other.

Well, I will let you know what the 2nd week of this December has for my wife and I. I pray this Christmas becomes truly a time of Worship, Family get together's, Joy and LOTS of laughter.

FORGET the gifts that drain your bank accounts and overflow your credit cards, just send us and each other LOVE.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment