Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Well...Well...Well

November 14. 2017 and we are still living with relatives....as are hundreds, if not thousands, of other people. I could post pictures of our home but they don't tell the Whole Story; that's just damage/destruction.

Over the decades, friends have suggested I think of what others may be experiencing. Hmmmmm, H o w, does one do that....?

UNLESS, one Experiences disaster/trauma/catastrophe! Ummmm, well there is THAT method.

Otherwise, the descriptions and explanations are just words and/or pictures or videos of destruction and people wading through waist deep water. In other words, some occurrences have to be LIVED.

I have wept from frustration, anger, loss of trust and respect. I have watched staff of suppliers (grocery stores, flooring, paint, mechanics) start crying because they could not help with whatever we needed. Short of staff, in the context of a catastrophic event; A business/church/person serviced or served an area for 20-30 years, hundreds or thousands of customers. NOW, a LARGE percentage of those past customers are coming to you for help repairing home, car, church, etc.,

According to the movies, all our problems can be solved in 2hrs or less with 20 commercial breaks. This is America. We have instant everything, 24/7. We have AAA, Insurance of every type, Bank Accounts, pristine lawns and homes in pristine neighborhoods (at least on TV). WAIT! Not everyone has one or any of these. Many did not have Flood (RISING WATER) Insurance or a savings account or bank account equal to the 20%.

Hey, Hurricane Harvey victims, think about a form of counseling for PTSD. If you are not familiar with that term, then Depression or Anxiety or How Do I Recover feelings. Recently, I posted a question on FB in our neighborhood, regarding the status of repairs of my/our neighbors. The replies were informative, refreshing, encouraging, sad and, in some instances, funny.

The point IS, I learned about our neighbors and we had a chance to share, which helped me, if no one else. We were not alone and were about the same phase of recovery? or at least headed in the correct direction. I sympathize with Puerto Rico, Florida, New Jersey/New York (remember Sandy). LONG after the celebrity fund raisers are gone and media has moved on, many of us will still be recovering AND will need an Ear to hear or Shoulder to lean on or just someone to Share with.

I tried to attend Church, this past Sunday, but was at my emotional limit and One question pushed me over into tears that would not stop. For those experiencing any of the above emotions or others, God has not forgotten us (even tho it seems so) but sometimes we NEED something/someone with flesh on it. I went home to bed and slept. Rest is absolutely essential for our emotional and physical health.

I realize that referencing God can seem cliche' or superficial and to some, totally useless. In my life, God has always been an influence and support and guide but has seemed VERY distant and quiet when I need that security the most.

You may have noticed, I am venting and this is my counseling session. Some call it "speaking to the universe" and I am fine with that analogy.

If you have not suffered a traumatic event recently or ever, then my request is for you to just be patient with the rest of us. We have learned or are learning the innocents have nothing to relate to; you just don't get it and that is okay. Until water was flooding our home at a speed too quick to save anything that it reached, I could not sympathize with former flood victims. Nor could I grasp water sitting in our home, our street, knee deep, for days. I can NOW!

Well, well, well. I think I'm done. WOW, I feel better! To everyone (government, civilian) that helped us, my wife and I sincerely thank you.

NOW, is this one of THOSE letters a person writes and destroys??

Ps: This Christmas, we will be back in our home, living and being thankful. At least, that is MY plan:) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment