Sunday, January 26, 2014

Make Thy Face To Shine Upon Thy SERVANT:

Approaching and Addressing God

When addressing a person of Executive Rank, there is a protocol of actions and words.
  • Captain Bond, Sir
  • Your Excellency
  • Your Highness
  • Mr. President
  • Ma’am
  • Sir
  • Mr. Last Name
  • Mrs. Last Name
  • Pastor
  • Reverend

Watching movies about past cultures refreshes my memories of courtesies, indicators of respect, modest styles of attire and verbiage of humility.

As a child, my elders taught me to:
  • Stand when an elder entered the room and if a woman, offer her my chair.
  • Take my hat off when speaking to a woman or tip my hat when first meeting.
  • Respond with Sir or Ma’am to any male or female older than I.
  • Assist my date, with her chair, when sitting in a restaurant.
  • Etc.

BUT
I do not remember being taught etiquette to:
  • Address God
  • Speak with him
  • Worship him
  • Request help for a need

Worshiping seems to be a natural event as well as asking for help. Americans are not, by nature or education humble people. We used to be much more courteous and respectful (1950s-1960s). So instead of depending on anyone from this generation or mine, I referred to several Bible versions.

Genesis 19:19 New International Version (NIV)
19 Your[a] servant has found favor in your[b] eyes, and you[c] have shown great kindness to me in sparing my life. But I can’t flee to the mountains; this disaster will overtake me, and I’ll die.


Genesis 32:10 New International Version (NIV)

10 I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two camps.


Psalm 27:9 King James Version (KJV)

Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.


Psalm 31:16 King James Version (KJV)

16 Make thy face to shine upon thy servant: save me for thy mercies' sake.


1 Samuel 1:11 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

11 She made this vow: “O Lord of hosts, if only you will look on the misery of your servant, and remember me, and not forget your servant, but will give to your servant a male child, then I will set him before you as a nazirite[a] until the day of his death. He shall drink neither wine nor intoxicants,[b] and no razor shall touch his head.”


1 Samuel 3:9-10 King James Version (KJV)

Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, Lord; for thy servant heareth. So Samuel went and lay down in his place. 10 And the Lord came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.


Luke 1:38 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

38 Then Mary said, “Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.” Then the angel departed from her.


Luke 1:38 The Message (MSG)

36-38 “And did you know that your cousin Elizabeth conceived a son, old as she is? Everyone called her barren, and here she is six months pregnant! Nothing, you see, is impossible with God.” And Mary said, Yes, I see it all now: I’m the Lord’s maid, ready to serve. Let it be with me just as you say. Then the angel left her.

My thoughts of late have included placing God Almighty Jesus Christ first – verbally – during any communication with him. For example:
  • Good morning Father. You are Holy, Wonderful, Merciful and Very Patient.
  • Mighty God, Holy and Righteous, please regard your servant with mercy and patience.
  • Holy Father full of Mercy and Forgiveness, forgive my iniquity.
  • You are Holy, Righteous, and Your Laws are Wonderful and Perfect. Remember your servant and my family, your children.
  • O God, Full of Mercy and Loving Kindness, remember your servant, my wife, and her health.

What I believe is going to happen, in my life, is a change in relationship and favor with Christ Jesus similar to those before me.

Bible: Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Rebecca, David, Mary, and Paul.

Family: Grandmother, Uncle, Mother,

Friends: Several have given me great examples of prayer, by their results but I choose to withhold their names.

The majority of people have moments of humility and I know certain ones that their LIVES are examples of humility. The Presence of God is palatable around them. Their speech and actions are tender, NOT weak, but gentle.

AND when these people speak to, about or for God, you FEEL the STRENGTH to the core of your being.

Much, of our lives, is guided by some ritual or rule carefully watched over by an authority figure. But what happens when we live as if we wrote those rules, it becomes more natural, acceptable and blows the mind of our overseers.

When we are in a place of liberty to approach our God in a Respectful, Courteous, Genuine and Gentle Attitude, the result is ALWAYS TRANSCENDENT; Absolute perfect worship and adoration to our Absolutely Perfect and Wonderful Savior and Friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment